Friday, August 03, 2012

Succession Planting.

This is the first year that I have actively tried succession planting in my garden. The idea behind this is that you are consistently planting something new in your garden. When one thing has produced enough of what you need you take it out and plant something else. This is something I struggled a bit with at first. It was hard to pull out healthy lettuce plants to make room for beans and herbs. I started with replanting in the place where I had removed my garlic.  From there I have moved onto planting kale and brassicas where peas came out. I just pulled my green bean plants and started a crop of carrots. This weekend I will be taking out my pickling cucumbers to make room for a fall crop of snap peas. I love the idea of the garden always producing something as long as the weather holds.

No comments: