Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mind boggling...

This week my father was discharged from the CCU unit at our local hospital. The hospital did not call my mother to let them know he was being discharged. Had they done this I would have been there for his discharge. Trying to explain medical things to my mother is nearly impossible. You might as well be trying to explain how ph meters work as to discuss medical care with her. She simply assumes that she is not going to understand what is being told to her and shuts down. She brought my dad home with a bunch of new medications and some handouts on his care but no recollection of what was said to her. It boggles my mind that the hospital wouldn't want to ensure that someone in a state as fragile as my father is would be discharged to someone who clearly doesn't want to understand his care. Needless to say I have sorted through all the papers and medicines and developed a plan that is his best chance at getting better while living at home. 

No comments: