Sunday, April 01, 2012

Translating...

My oldest son has been taking Spanish lessons since he was in second grade. He is now finishing sixth grade and seems to have a pretty good handle on the Spanish language. I often find him translating things he reads that are written in Spanish into English to show off his skills. It is like his brain is already operating as some sort of converter of languages. I think this is an important skill to have in our ever diversifying world. My hope is that he continues to expand his understanding of the language and his fluency as time goes on. I believe there will come a time in his life when he is glad to have an understanding of the Spanish language. He doesn't always appreciate the work it takes to learn his Spanish lessons but I know that one day he will be glad he knows at least some Spanish. 

No comments: